Friday, December 3, 2010

A new phase in life...a new blog to match!

I used to keep a blog of sorts on Livejournal.  Some of you may have even followed me at one point.  If you have visited my Livejournal recently (I would be shocked if you have), then you will have noticed that I have not posted anything in a year and a half.  For a while I was posting more frequently.  In 2007 I was posting something almost everyday.  The reason 2007 had so many posts was because I used my Livejournal as a means to vent my frustration.  I was in a very unhappy job situation at the time, among other things, and I needed an outlet; Livejournal provided that for me.  Thankfully I am no longer working at that job.  I left in the fall of 2007, around the time I started grad school, and about the same time my journal posts dropped off significantly.  I no longer needed a place to vent, and I no longer had endless free time sitting at desk twiddling my thumbs.  Grad school gave me purpose and focus, something I was desperate for.

Here we are three years later and I have now graduated from grad school with my MSW.  So why am I starting another blog?  The reason is because I am once again in a similar situation to the one I was in three years ago.  It is not the same, only similar.  It is different because I am not working in a job that I hate.  In fact, I love the work I do.  It is similar because I am once again feeling ambivalent about my life and I am filled with a whole new set of doubts and fears.

So why didn't I just start up with my old blog where I left off?  Two reasons.  The first is kind of superficial.  I feel like Livejournal is past its prime.  Many of my friends are no longer using their Livejournal accounts and some have deleted their journals altogether.  Secondly, and more importantly, I feel like I needed a fresh start.  I don't want to go back to an old journal, filled with old problems.  I am at a new place in my life and I wanted a new blog to reflect that.

I am not yet sure what I am going to use this blog for.  I have a couple ideas, but I'm still thinking about it.  I don't want to use it to simple complain about my life, which is what my old journal was mainly used for.  I think if you put too much negativity out into the world, then that is all you are going to get back.  Does that mean I won't ever complain on this blog?  Certainly not!  But I will try to keep it to a minimum.  In the interim, I might try to use Reverb 10 for inspiration.  I got the idea from my wonderful friend Chrysti on her blog (I miss you, and I hope you are enjoying your new life in a new country!).  I am a couple days behind, but no worries.  I can post a few at once if I need to.

Feel free to follow me on this journey.  I hope that I can be more productive this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment